Monday, October 1, 2012

Into the Wild Blog #3

List of the things I learned about Chris McCandless
  • He is Brave
  • He is Nobel
  • He is Adventurous
  • He is Intelligent. He has a book of plants to tell what he can eat basically. If its poisonous or not.
  • He is Outgoing obviously.
  • He is Crazy
  • He is Jubilant
  • He is Eager
  • He is Impatient
  • He is somewhat Helpless when his wants to be.
  • He is that type of person who would take nothing else, except something to carry on your back. "Not including the canoe."
  • He lived on the beach for 10 days.
  • He was put into custody.
  • He stopped writing his journals after his camera was broke.
  • He worked in Las Vegas and then he was on the road again May 10th.
  • He left his canoe after the powerful tides drug him out towards sea and he was back on the road without it.
  • He had lost all hope when he couldn't get to the ocean, before the duck hunters took him. He was confounded.
  • He is Kind.
  • He wasn't needy to me.
  • He is the guy who lived on his own, however he wanted too. He would get rides to where he wanted to go and would explain why. Chris McCandless is an adventurer.
           
              My reaction to the note is that his grades were very important to his family. Well his parents more likely. They had very high expectations for Chris. They wanted him to go to college and have a good life of his own;going to Law school and all. The relationship still isn't quite clear to me yet, between his parents. I still have more thinking to do about it all. Though Chris felt uptight mostly and felt like he couldn't do anything. Quoted in the book it says, "At long last he was unencumbered, emancipated from the stifling world of his parents and peers, a world of abstraction and security and material excess, a world in which he felt grievously cut off from the raw throb of existence" (22). Chris felt tied up in his house, between his parents and the world. He wanted to get out and do what he wanted to do. This is where when he says, "I think I'm going to disappear for awhile," came into the picture. He didn't want to be around anyone to tell him what to do or what he should be doing. He wanted to be free. He wanted his own life to live. He didn't want anyone around to tell him different either. My intentions were when it says "security" in the quote I quoted; I thought that, he was the kid who was frustrated with his parents dreams and not his own. He was bundled up inside and didn't want to be anymore. All he wanted was it to go away. Maybe his dream was to live in the wild, I mean look where he is at now.
      
               Maybe he just didn't want to be around it anymore. He was tired of doing what he was doing. Maybe he just wanted to see what it would be like to live in the wild. Maybe he thought in his head that he could actually survive throughout the wild with what supplies his had. Nature could be another, to just live there. He just wanted his own life, he wanted to be on his own and wanted to see if he could do it.

5 comments:

  1. I wrote a lot of the same things when it came to what I had learned also. I thought different about number 2, but I like the points you have given and it gives me a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had a lot of the same feeling. I too thought that hw was simpky just tired of what he was doing. I thought it was interesting how you also said he was jubilent. Overall great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your list. We have a lot of the same things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list was very exact to Chris's character and I enjoyed the section you wrote about how he felt bound to his parents. I didn't think of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your List was very detailed and descriptive. Also, I agree with you on everything you said about the note to his parents.

    ReplyDelete